Saturday, January 07, 2006

Hockey Dad and Mom

Now that the Christmas season is over it is time to be a rink rat again. Jacob had a game at 9:30 this morning and I needed to be at work for 10am. No big deal except that Jacob forgot an elbow pad so I had to drive home like a maniac to retrieve the missing piece of equipment. I remember back to my hockey days and I would not have said anything to my mom, I would have played without. In fact, I played without a cup once! Luckily, my boys survived that incident.

I made it back to the rink for 9:40 am and Jacob was still in the dressing room. I thought he would have at least gone to the bench and watch but he chose to stay where it was warm. I dropped off the elbow pad and made it to the store with 2 minutes to spare. I then called home and reminded the girls that they had a game at 11:10 am at another rink. Nicole would be their chauffeur for this event. We are usually at the rink four days a week. Jacob is on the ice Friday, Saturday and Sunday. The girls lace up their skates on Saturday, Sunday and Monday.

I had planned on competing in a 5k tomorrow but Jacob has a game at 10:30 am in a community an hour away and the girls also have a game at 10:30 am 20 minutes away in the opposite direction. My 5k is scheduled for 11:00 am and this in an hour away in a third direction. It appears that I will not be competing tomorrow.

All three of my kids play hockey although I can not say that they are in love with the game. We do not crowd around the TV and watch Hockey Night In Canada every Saturday night like I used to do back in the 1970's. I'm not sure any of them have ever watched a complete game. This, of course, shows on the ice as none of them have a true understanding of the game. But, they do get 4 hours of exercise every week and what the hell would I do with the $800 it cost to register them?

Jacob did score a goal and he had an assist. I missed both as I went to work for 10 am and came back to the rink when there was 14 minutes left. Jacob's team came from behind and scored three goals in 7 minutes to force a 9-9 tie. I forgot to ask how Rachel and Erica did.


Till next time,
Michael

No comments: