Monday, May 01, 2006

First Day as a Graduate Nurse

Today I began my journey as a nurse...nobody that knew me 15 years ago would ever have predicted this career choice. But, my 4 years of schooling are over and it is time to put my knowledge to work. I still have to write the RN exam in June; until then I am considered a graduate nurse and earn a couple bucks less an hour.

I had expected to see some classmates today but I guess I am the only one who did not preceptor at this hospital so I was surrounded by strangers on this first day of orientation. I chose to work at a hospital an hour away from my home primarily because of the language factor, and the nurses there are a bit more relaxed. With the price of gas hovering around $1.17 a litre I may have made an expensive mistake!

No comments: