Thursday, March 08, 2007

First Solo Shift in the ICU

My training is over and like it or not, I was set free last night in the unit. I was hoping to have the same patient that I had the day before but instead I was up on the 4th floor. My pt was inutubated and had a feeding and a rectal tube so there was plenty of "learning" to do.

The shift went by pretty smoothly, except for my attempt to change all the IV tubing which resulted in a large pool of D5W on the floor. Man, that stuff is sticky! I think next time I will just run new lines and use a new bag rather than trying to switch the bags.

My relief this morning had no interest in report so I was home and in bed by 8:30. I managed to sleep till 11:30 and then got up fed the kids and we went to a matinee - eragon. The kids enjoyed the movie, I thought the book was better.

Now it is time to head back to work, which will be the last of my six consecutive 12-hour shifts. I am looking forward to some down time.

1 comment:

Freddie L Sirmans, Sr. said...

Just browsing the internet, very interesting.